Friday, September 16, 2011

How can I drink wine or beer without getting hives?

I believe I have recently developed an allergy to wine and beer. Hives form after a glass. I don't drink very often, but do enjoy wine or beer occasionally and would like to still be able to have some. Is there something I can do to prevent the hives, itching, swelling that comes with it? I have been enjoying wine and beer for years, and only just recently started having this problem.|||That's a tough question. I suffer from allergies myself, and I have reactions to certain red wines-they give me terrible hangovers even if I only drink a glass.





I would advise you NOT to take an antihistamine, since it tends to make you drowsy-it will probably intensify the effects of the alcohol.





If you really and truly enjoy the taste of wine and beer, then go to an allergist and see if they can run a prick test on you to find out which ones cause you the most problems. I would try white wine, since it has a much lower level of histimines (red wine is high in histamines!) and it might be easier on your system.





Another thought: an allergist once told my sister to think of allergy tolerance like a bucket. If you are avoiding other allergens and aren't having any other reactions, then you'll probably have fewer problems with one glass of beverage, (think of it like a single drop in the bucket) but if you are already reacting to something else, that one last drop in the bucket will make it overflow-your reaction will worsen.





Also consider organic beverages-it may be residue from a chemical or pesticide which is the source of your allergy. You can get these at Whole Foods and similar supermarkets and whole foods stores.|||Take two Zantac 75 mg 20-40 minutes before you drink.

Report Abuse


|||DUH!!! If you have an allergic reaction, your body is telling you not to ingest whatever it is. Allergic reactions can cause severe problems and even death. Personally, if you continue when you KNOW you are allergic, you deserve the hives.|||I would try some anti histamines (SP) my wife has the same problem she looks like a Strawberry Patch lol but she will take one of those and then she can have a Couple glasses of wine and be fine.|||If you haven't already, try to isolate the allergen that is affecting you.





If you are allergic to alcohol, no amount will be "safe" and you must really be careful. Just as you have "become" allergic, allergies can surge and you may find that those simple hives are now manifesting themselves in an asthma-like attack that prevent you from breathing!





It is possible that you are allergic to sulfites, or one of the sugars, or some other component in the beverages that can be avoided. It would be worth finding out, for your safety and the peace of mind it would bring to you, your family, and your friends!





Best wishes!|||get yourself some hayfever tablets containing 10mg of cetirizine dihydrochloride half of one tablet should stop the hives, dont drink too much though.

No comments:

Post a Comment