Friday, September 23, 2011

How long should I wait to prime my beer im brewing?

I am in the process of making my own beer. It is currently in the secondary fermentation stage. There are no bubbles in my beer anymore. So I am pretty sure that it is done fermenting. I have only had it is secondary fermentation for about three days now. Is it safe to prime and bottle my beer yet?|||In my own experience I do a one week primary fermentation, another week secondary fermentation, then prime and bottle then wait another 7-10 days before drinking.|||the beer should now be under airlock as there is no CO2 protecting the surface





as above, I wait at least 2 weeks, sometimes as long as 6 before bottling.





cheers|||Three days is pretty fast for secondary fermentation. Check the temperature. If it has gone down below the recommended range, warm it up before you wind up with "bottle bombs". As a rule of thumb, I figure two weeks in the secondary before priming and bottling. Be patient.|||It's most likely ready to go, if it spent a week in primary...the only way to know for sure is to take specific gravity readings for a few days, and if it's unchanged, than it's ready to go.





Secondary fermentation is really only needed for dry hopping or long term aging.

No comments:

Post a Comment